Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - U2

U2 - Sleep Like a Baby Tonight:
Before I start this, let me say this - THIS MY ABSOLUTE MOST FAVOURITE SONG IN THE HISTORY OF TIME. It doesn't help that the song comes from one of my favourite bands (I have many) - U2.

This song is part of their comeback album - SONGS OF INNOCENCE. Oh and did I mention that they released the album for free? Yeah that's right, you don't have to pay a single penny to download this album from the AppStore. Why am I repeating this point again and again? Because you don't understand how nice that is. They just produced music so that people would listen to it and relate to it. Not to make money, not for the fame (not that they need it) and not to come back on top of  The Highest Earning Album Makers of the Year list; because let's face it, they would have easily done it. They did it for the music. Just for the music. And that, is what true musicians are about. The music.

Now you can argue that my point is unfair and bigoted. Maybe it is. Because not all musicians are famous enough or rich enough like U2. So I don't think badly of the musicians who earn money through their music. It's their job. Just like an engineer's job is to build things or like a doctor's job is to heal people. So we shouldn't judge them for that because let's admit it, money is very important in our lives ( deny it all you want). And yes, I LOVE Taylor Swift. I love her music, it has helped me a lot. I could always relate to a Taylor Swift song. She was, IS, amazing. But then, along came 1989. Yes, the music is incredibly beautiful and powerful but I just cannot relate to it at all. 

U2 > News > Cover Story Glen Luchford's striking cover image of Larry Mullen Jr, protecting his 18year old son, resonates with the band's iconic 1980 debut album Boy - and the album War, three years later....: Not to mention the fact that her copyrighting every catchy phrase from the album is ANNOYING. Like really, did you know that you can't listen to a Taylor Swift song on any free streaming website? The wisecrack would ask me what the hell is You Tube for? Guess what, my dad who is overbearingly strict, blocked You Tube from my laptop as punishment for not adhering to my curfew. ANYWAYS, THE SONG.........

The song starts with

Morning, your toastYour tea and sugarRead about a politician's loverGo through the dayLike a knife through butterWhy don't youYou dress in the colours of forgivenessYour eyes as red as ChristmasPurple robes are folded on the kitchen chair
Which is pretty much real life. And it might sound a tad boring but you need to listen to it to actually understand it. Then comes the chorus, which pretty much makes the song a lullaby (along with the music of course).
You're gonna sleep like a baby tonight
In your dreams everything is alright
Tomorrow dawns like someone else's suicide
You're gonna sleep like a baby tonight
Which for some weird reason, soothes me. It's like Bono is telling me in Bono style that I can face all the shit I've got myself in, in the morning and now I should just sleep. Like you know, in Eat, Pray, Love when Liz is having a breakdown in the bathroom in the big house in the suburbs; and then her subconscious just tells her to go to bed. That no big decisions need to be made at two in the morning. That is oddly very soothing.

Then comes my favourite part:
Dreams
It's a dirty business, dreaming
Where there is silence and not screaming
Where there's no daylight
There's no healing, no no
This verse is so beautiful that when I heard it for the first time I just sat there all blank, clutching my phone. And then you realize how true it actually is. Dreams are physically and mentally exhausting. Like you know, every time you get up from dreams it's like you survived a cliff fall or something extreme. And the dreams are an another thing. Most of the time they're really bad and the creepiest thing is that you can't scream. Somehow, screaming makes the whole ordeal better. Because you know that when the screaming stops that things are alright (or that you're dead). And when we do have good dreams they end halfway and we never know what happens next. That sucks okay?

And I think I'll end this post with another haunting phrase:
Hope, hope is where the door is
When the church is where the war is
Where no one can feel no one else's pain
So yeah, please listen to it. It's one of the most beautiful things ever created.

Yours,
Zoe Summers

A NOTE: I'm really, really very sorry for the bad grammar. I've edited the post and hopefully, nothing else pops up. Thank you for putting up with it.

6 comments:

  1. Did NOT. I'd already heard Invisible and Every Breaking Wave and One. I was just not a great fan till I heard the Song for Someone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did NOT. I'd already heard Invisible and Every Breaking Wave and One. I was just not a great fan till I heard the Song for Someone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did NOT. I'd already heard Invisible and Every Breaking Wave and One. I was just not a great fan till I heard the Song for Someone

    ReplyDelete