Tuesday, 8 September 2015

The Quote that Literally Saved My Sanity.

Elizabeth Gilbert from "Eat, Pray, Love"-- a letter to yourself in your low moments.:

To those who don't recognize this quote, it's from Elizabeth Gilbert's bestselling memoir, Eat. Pray and Love. It describes the author's journey from leaving her husband to spending a whole world travelling in order to find herself again in the midst of depression.

The first time I read this book, I was in seventh grade in what I like to call my "experimental bimbo" phase. I was so stupidly naive it's like I was a walking ambassador of stupid. I really liked the book and the author's humour was fresh. But I didn't really read it so desperately until a year later.

By then, things had happen. That time was probably the toughest time of my life. I was diagnosed with cyclothymia and was not a very nice person to say it lightly. I was facing a life altering situation, I was no longer friends with my two year old best friend. Cross that. We weren't even looking at each other. And we were moving to India.

The reason that drove me into depression will not be revealed. But I'd like to say that it was no where near to getting divorced or losing one of the greatest loves of your life. But to me, it was earth-shattering. And this quote helped me reinforce and believe in everything I believed in.

The quote can mean many things. To the author, it was God speaking to her through her as well her own sub conscience. To me, this quote was literally God assuring me of his love when I needed it the most. There were literally times, when I would come to God in tears and just talk to him. And it felt like he listened, when no one else would. If you're an atheist, I totally respect your views. And let it be known to the reader that my ideas of God are mine and mine alone. I do not wish to force any of this on you.

But my point is, that quote was basically what I whisper myself to sleep. What I would reassure myself with. What I would wipe my tears with. What I would pick myself with. That quote brought me hope. Hope that things might get better one day. And for that, I shall be forever remain indebted to Elizabeth Gilbert.

Yours,
Zoe Summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment